Saturday, October 19, 2013

Clinics, Dissections, and Trail Rides

I participated in another horse clinic with Jennie and Larry from Pie Town, NM.  There was a lot of new people at this clinic, which is fantastic!  Jennie decided to start with the basics because of the amount of new people and horses we had.  I was a little disappointed at first, but I was excited to spend it with Buck regardless.

One of the coolest things happened!  Buck and I were practicing rotating on the front for a good while, then I decided to just start loving on him.  I got onto the ground in front of him and brought it attention towards me.  A cat came out of the nearby pasture and planted herself on my lap shortly after.  I was completely engulfed in that moment.  I had a beautiful relationship with my horse and now there was a cat snuggling me on my lap.  Buck's head remained low, looking at me and sniffing the small feline.  I stroked his jaw and smiled happily.  It was a picture perfect moment.

Shortly after the cat left, Buck began inching his way closer to me.  It is pretty intimidating having a 1200 pound animal hovering above you, and wanting to move in closer...but I trusted him.  I turned around and leaned against his front legs.  Buck's neck was level with his back, putting his head in a relaxed position above me.  Then, by complete surprise, Buck lifted his front right leg and put it over my shoulder.  He rested it there, applying no pressure or intention.  It felt like he was hugging me.  He kept it there for about two minutes then pulled it back, causing my shoulder to squeeze in between his front legs (ouch!).  Jennie instructed the group to begin lowering our horse's heads by applying pressure (or none at all) in between their ears.  Buck and I already had a head start on this obviously, so I practiced it with a little more intent for 10 minutes, then began making him feel good.  I sat back on the ground and began stretching his front legs over me.  I'd pick up his hoof (which he was more than willing to give) and hold it high above my head.  He relaxed completely and let the muscles loosen.  I moved to his back legs (which I did standing up) and began stretching those.  At first he would let me pick up whichever leg I wanted, but he eventually ended up telling me what leg he wanted me to touch.  For example, I'd go to pick up his back right, and he would press it hard against the ground, only to pick up his back left.  So I would go to his back left and he would help me stretch it, then put it down gently.


During the next clinic day we practiced the circle game and getting our horses to focus on one object.  I got Buck to touch his nose to a paper plate 22 feet away.  I thought that was pretty neat!  While playing the circle game, we asked our horses to jump over some barrels.  Buck was a wrecking ball.  He would quite literally just plow through them without picking up any of his hooves at an attempt to jump.  We eventually did it with some extra energy and practice, but it's something him and I will need to work on.

I shared the video I made of Buck and I to the group that was with us on Sunday.  I didn't mean to make people cry, but I think about five or so people did.  It made me feel so good, and proud of Buck.  The video was about how far he has came and it was so nice to see people responding to that.  I hope it gives the people who are new to natural horsemanship the motivation, courage, and dedication to do everything they can with their own horse. 

The amazing Tomas Teskey came back for a few days and did another hoof dissection.  It was awesome, as always.  I learned a lot of cool things, some of which are:
 

Steal horse shoes wear faster than a hoof because it is abrasive.  A horse hoof yields and conforms to the ground.  Some claim that they ride their horse so much that they have to use shoes or the horse's hoof would disappear...wrong.  A horse hoof regenerates fairly quickly and builds up natural callus to prevent injury.  



Horses don't feel their sole when they have shoes on either because sensation is reduced.  That is why a horse can be lame, have shoes put on, and then trot off perfectly "fine."  There is a 30% reduction of blood flow to a hoof that has steal placed on it.  If the frog cannot perform how it is supposed to and aid in the flow of blood to the heart, there is a serious problem.  If humans had that much blood flow reduction to the heart, we'd have to have a stint put in!
 
A good pair of boots are a great replacement to steal shoes.  Steal does not allow the frog stay to flex and move how it should, boots, however, allow the frog stay to move how it was meant to--freely.  
Boots may not be easier, but they will be healthier for your horse. 


Perfectly relaxed!
We went on two trail rides these last few days to Antelope Island.  They were the second and third trail rides of the year x.x  The first one was in Pie Town last June, and man, that was exhausting.  Buck was very not okay with it and he let me know.  He whinnied constantly, was hard to calm down, and was just being an idiot, particularly when he couldn't be by his pasture pals.  He was an insecure, untrusting horse.  These last trail rides were completely different though.  He was calm and relaxed!  He was even choosing to walk 40 or so feet behind the other horses at times.  He has learned to trust me and I am so thankful he has been able to see why.  I think Buck takes care of me on the trail and I take care of him.


The relationship Buck and I have has proved to be extraordinary.  He has challenged me, and I have challenged him.  Our relationship is equal.  I consider his feelings, wants and needs, and he takes care of me physically and emotionally (as I to him).

PS) I totally got Buck to balance and then fall asleep on a railroad tie with all four of his hooves. Awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment