Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sometimes Life Comes Full Circle

Zema in Summer 2012
When I moved to Cedar City I had to give up my horse, Zema.  He was the last connection I had with Foxy and the house I grew up in.  Needless to say, I didn't want to lose him.  I tried to keep Zema with me and find a place I could afford in Cedar City, but it was going to be too expensive.  Zema was given to a lady who used him for trail riding.  From the e-mails I received the lady was not experiencing the Zema I rode and played with for years.  He sounded like a monster.  The horse that was described to me was anxious and mean.  Zema was eventually given back to his original owner, the lady who gave Zema to me.  She contacted me asking if I wanted Zema back, but my mom had just given me Buck and said I couldn't take Zema back.  I understood.  Several months later his original owner contacted me deeply concerned about his health.  Zema wasn't losing his winter coat in the 75 degree weather in California and he was very skinny.  He was distant and had no excitement like he used to.  It was so sad to hear.  Again she asked if I could take Zema, but we had moved to less than an acre and would be unable to support three horses on such little pasture.
Zema in Summer 2011
I suggested she give Zema to Jennie and Larry Housely, the wonderful people at Horseman Haven Ranch in Pie Town, New Mexico.  She believed it was a good idea and Zema was sent their way.  Two months later, Zema is now at Craig and Connie's house while Jennie and Larry are visiting.  He has lost most of his winter coat and has gained a lot of weight.  His shoes have been taken off and his hooves are beginning to look more natural.  When I saw him I almost didn't recognize him.  He was so round and had beautiful muscle when he was in my care.  I wanted to cry.  Not only because of his physical condition, but because of how important he was to me.  Zema was always there and seemed to understand how I was feeling.  I can't remember a single time when I left Zema feeling unhappy.  He was the best.  
 
Zema in Spring 2014

After two years, Zema is back in Hooper.  I never thought I would see him again, let alone get to brush him and talk to him.  He seemed to remember me when I saw him yesterday.  That made me feel good.  I want him back so badly...it just isn't a possibility though.  I can only hope whoever gets him after he is rehabbed will treat him with the kindness I did.  He deserves it.

On a brighter note, I got another duck! Its name is Ahmi (means "friend" in French).  I say "its" because I won't know if Ahmi is a male or female until he is about eight to ten weeks old.  Today he is officially one week old!  Ahmi is a Roun (pronounced "roan") duck.  They originated in France and look identical to Mallards.  They cannot fly though, as their body is too heavy for their wings to carry.  Right now Ahmi is living in the house.  It's still too cold outside and he is too small to be out on his own.  He is enjoying the nice comfy blankets on the couch and nightly snuggles and midday naps with me I think.  Ahmi is pretty fearless.  He expects the world to be safe and for others to look after him.  It amazes me how trusting and happy such a small, baby animal can be.  He has never seen danger or fear, so he does not know what it is.
Buck snorted out his nose and blew Ahmi off the block, hahaha
Buck and I have been playing recently.  Here is a list of what we can do now:
-Buck can back up when I'm standing on either side of him (doesn't matter where), in front, and behind.  Yesterday I even walked around Buck in circles while I asked him to back.  It was fun!
-Buck side passes away from me and towards me on both sides
-Rotates and plants his hooves on the front and back 
-I can get Buck to move each leg independently
-I can direct Buck to touch his nose on any point of focus despite the distance
-Move sideways to the fence in order to mount easily
-Bridleless riding (of course!)

Buck is getting bored with what I'm asking of him.  He learns things so quickly it's almost frustrating.  I need a lot more ideas!  If you think of anything, let me know and I'll do it!

Other than that, spring semester is nearly over.  I have two more papers to write, one presentation, and three finals.  I enjoyed this semester.  I made two friends (Mark and Jenessa) and I haven't gotten below a 95% in any class.  I may finally get that 4.0 I've been so close to getting for the past two semesters.

After school today I'm going over to Craig's to groom Zema and chat with Jennie.  I'm looking forward to it.  I want to spend as much time with him as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment