Saturday, June 29, 2013

From Pie Town Till Now

Hello everyone.
It's been a little while since I last posted because life has been pretty busy.  I've had time to reflect over my experience in Pie Town, NM and I've gotten more out of it than I originally thought.  Last night I had a conversation with a girl who trained reining horses.  Of course with my new knowledge I respectfully probed as to why she followed that method of training with bits, spurs, shoes, etc. when it could all be done naturally.  When she told me it was the only way to get a two year old horse ready to slide 30 feet by the time they were three, I realized she was a corporate horse trainer and no matter what I said she'd throw it back at me.  She was in it for the money and ego, not for the health or enjoyment of the horse.  She had an agenda, and it wasn't a very positive one.  It made me sad for the horses she trained.  A horse that young isn't physically or mentally ready to participate in such demanding circumstances.  She said it was for the clientele...that's supposed to justify it, right?  Wrong.  I don't understand...
I can't say I blame her though.  I've been there before, too.  I rode and worked with horses the only way I knew how--with saddles, bits, spurs, crops, etc.  But now, I do know better and I will never go back.  I can't feel guilty for how I used to work with horses because I didn't know any better until just a year ago.  It ticks my nerve when I attempt to talk to other horse riders about natural horsemanship and they almost get offended I brought it up, or they simply say it's not possible, or only under special circumstances with a lot of time.  My favorite line is, "It's cool, but it's not realistic."  It's like, there is a better way...but some people choose to not see it because they are afraid of being wrong.  But I think that's human nature.  At least I know better now and I wasn't afraid of taking the right step forward, that's what important.  All I can do is help implant the idea of natural horsemanship into other people's minds, and they can do what they want with it. 
 
On the second to last day at Pie Town, a group of six horses and their riders, including me, went on a four and half hour trail ride.  The ride proved its difficulties for Buck in the way that I wouldn't let him walk by a horse he knew, and he got incredibly anxious and bull headed.
Larry and Bubba
We rode most of the way about thirty feet behind the group with Larry and his horse Bubba.  Bubba kicked Buck twice because he was being so obnoxious.  It brought Buck's mind back to the present and he collected himself for a while.  
 


The ride was mostly flat with desert flora.  We did come up to a huge hill, however.  We had to zigzag our way up it in order to get to the other side and finish the ride.  I was riding Buck bareback, and this was the first time I'd have to be in a vertical position on a horse without anything to grip onto.  I was a bit intimidated, but we did it!  I clinged onto Buck's sides with my legs and held onto my Savvy string and his mane and up we went!  We zigzagged the first half, but then Buck decided going straight up was better, so that's what we did.  Buck had a blast!  It really engaged his mind and challenged him in his own way. I think he needs to be taken on more difficult trails because easy ones bore him.

Near the end of the ride we came across a large dried up lake.  It was our chance to run!  I don't think Buck has actually ever galloped with someone on him.  Even in the pastures he usually only hits a fast canter.  Unfortunately, Buck didn't break a canter when I encouraged him to gallop, but he did get going pretty fast.  His eyes lit up and ears went forward.  He was so happy in that moment and so was I.  I think Buck hasn't had much fun in his life and it's turned him into a dull, hard horse.  He needs to have more moments like that.  He deserves it.
 Oh yeah, and Buck and I also went swimming in the large pond at the ranch.  I didn't get pictures of it, but it was a moment that couldn't be captured on camera anyway.  The enjoyment and thrill was with Buck and I.  A camera would have just caught the motion.

When we came back home we immediately started working on the lawn.  So.much.weeding.  I don't think I've ever weeded so much in my life.  But, it was worth it.  I was able to have a really nice BBQ and fire with about 20 of my friends two nights ago.  Being surrounded with so many people that wanted to enjoy my company really made me realize how blessed I am to be living the life I am.

I worked with Buck this morning for the first time since we got back last Saturday...it was a nightmare.  He's turned back into a dominant asshole that keeps intruding in on my space.  I don't want to say we are starting over from square one, but I'll need to begin working with him every morning and night again if I want to get back to where we were.  I hate demographics...I'm just thankful I have the tools to make progress once more.

As a side note, I think my new thing to photograph is snails.  There are so many in my backyard and I find them intriguing.  They are beautiful in their own and the world should start appreciating them more! 

Oh, and before I forget to mention this.  My blood work came back normal for hyperthyroidism.  My pituitary gland is functioning at the high end of normal and they detected swelling somewhere in my body (led to another blood test but they aren't worried about it), but overall, I'm a pretty healthy person.  The doctor said that I may have an underlying anxiety problem which is causing my weight loss, sleeping problems, and other issues.  She directed me to get a melatonin supplement to get sleeping better (totally works) and to start taking care of my emotional-self better.  If things don't change she wants me go back and talk to her about what's going on in my brain.  I feel good about it and the anxiety does make sense. I guess I'll have to start meditating more regularly again!  Shucks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment