Tuesday, February 25, 2014

And Then There Was Peace


Here is a short story that happened toady while I was with Buck.  I thought it deserved its own posting.  I hope others are able to recognize moments like this and reflect on the feeling of peace they bring.

As Buck and I were on our way home, I decided to dismount and walk next to him. I wanted to enjoy his presence at eye level.  I began to jog, and he jogged next to me.  Then I sprinted forward...He could have stopped and ate grass.  He could have trotted away from me.  He could have stayed at a walk and let me jog ahead.  But he didn't do any of those things.  To my surprise Buck started cantering next to me.  His ears pricked forward and his head was held up high.  It was such an uplifting feeling.  Having such a large animal choosing to be that close to you is quite incredible.  He didn't have a halter on.  Nothing attached him to me besides our bond.  As we slowed back down to a walk I gave him a hug and smiled from ear to ear.  He snorted out a few times.  He was smiling too.  We walked along the wooden fence that bordered an empty field.  His head low, meandering next to me silently.  My hand lay across his withers and I matched my steps with his. 
I looked into the sky to witness a beautiful sunset.  The clouds were silver lined and the sun was a pale yellow.  The light reflected a shadow of Buck and I walking in stride.  Geese flew overhead, flying silently as they passed.  In this moment, the world was perfect.  The only sounds I heard emanated from the nature that surrounded me.  Colors were brighter, and smells were stronger.  I took each step with a silent purpose.  I was stepping towards eternal happiness.  The kind of happiness that doesn't come from medication and therapy.  This moment was a good reminder of the power I carry within myself to heal and accept the things I cannot change.  I was able to share this moment with my best friend.  A 1,200 pound, four legged animal that only sees the best in me.  Buck doesn't understand the words I shared with him, but he could feel the worry and sadness melt from my mind.  He breathed deeply, occasionally looking at me with his big, concerned eyes.  In this moment, I was whole.  I was happy.  I was me.
It's been a while since I was reminded of who I really am.  It's so easy to get caught up in the mass of technology, our relationships, and enduring obligations.  How do we look past the things our culture feeds off of?  I have to take the time to remove myself from the world, and momentarily create (or actually recognize) the world I have made for myself, internally.  We don't often listen to ourselves. I'm talking about really listening to ourselves.  Our heads are too cluttered for us to hear.  If we wish to reach this level of peace, truth, and wholeness, we need to silent that noise.  Let yourself think and hear....It's incredible what we have to tell ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment